Meet the new TV stand: part 2

We’ve been done with the tv stand for a couple weeks now, and this is way overdue so lets embark straight away shall we?

IMG_4870In the glowing afternoons of early fall I kept the work going. I sanded the cuss out of the old late 60s credenza. Checked it with Liz. Sanded one, maybe two more times. Wanted to make sure the thing was ready for primer.  I didn’t really do a great job on the doors, but I was “over it.” Here I should also mention that I screwed up. Liz had wanted the doors unpainted and even told me not to sand them the day before I begun painting. Well, I sanded one and it was already too late. Shucks.

After the doors, I got tired of sanding and I just dove into painting. I pulled out the pint of Bear primer, the paint brush and went at it (seen left). Originally I had pulled some ‘uber’ primer from the shelf and the dude/man at ‘the Depot’ had said it was for professionals. I heeded his word and went with the less “everything will stick to it” option.

I think the rule for painting is top down, so you can make sure you get all the drips if they happen. As you can tell I went right in the face of that rule. My reasoning is if the primer wouldn’t hold I’d not have to sand a giant surface that I see all the time. Thus, I started with the feet. Usually when painting wood, you should be concerned with grain direction and all sorts of alignment with the brush or roller, but I knew there was going to be enough layers of paint to not sweat perfection.

It went well and the wood was soaking up a fair bit of the primer.For those with a keen eye, they may be able to see it in the photo. I also made sure to keep a wet rag nearby, in this case a wet shamWOW. Side note: for those who are thinking of buying a shamWOW set – don’t.

So I let the legs sit for an hour or so to let them dry. I came back and scratched at the now dry primer to see if it had indeed done well enough to attach itself to the wood. Luckily it had. That meat it was time to slap on the thick stark white muck with the rollers. So after the first coat those fancy fluffy rollers, that the guy at Home Depot had pushed us into, were now leaving lovely pink frills in their wake. Wonderful.

After some time talking about “well we could stand and touch paint” or “just leaving it” we decided on the latter as a course of action. I also came to the conclusion that “big-box” advice is not always correct. I went to work the next day and came back the the whole thing being done. Liz had put a second coat of primer, and two coats of the “Glass o’ Milk” paint color all over this big bastard. That was mighty nice of her.

We talked again of the now bigger bumps and grit that spotted themselves across our newly painted wood. Talking of sanding and repainting were tossed but ultimately we were done working on the damn thing. There it sat for the night, drying and mellowing under the orange glow of street lamp right outside the office window. Morning came and after breakfast the two of us moved everything in the living room around and stuck the beast in it’s place.

IMG_4886

It was too early in the AM to go hammering away at the back panel so we went about watching TV and waiting for the sun to rise a bit farther in the sky – and more importantly people to wake up. Quick hammering and a 1″ & 1/2 new drill bit later, and I was ready to put the dvd player in.

We had to do was buy a set of those clear ‘feet guards’ to keep the wood floor from getting completely destroyed by the tiny wood nubs that it is supposed to sit on but that was it. Welcome new TV stand.

Meet the new TV stand: part 1

IMG_4848Liz was looking to update our ‘TV Stand’ and wanted to get something mid-century modern. I didn’t really have a problem with the as-is stand we got from IKEA, pictured left, but what did I know. So we went antiquing for a credenza that we (meaning I) could convert into a TV stand. We saw expensive-as-hell super-nice ones that we’d still have to disassemble in one fashion or another – then we saw a $98 ‘needs a bit of love’ taller credenza that was hard to pass up. We saw it, hmm and hawed over it, walked around the place one more time, made sure this is what we wanted and discussed what we might be able to do with it. Sanding, painting was decided upon. We bought it, left the shop and headed out to Home Depot.

At ‘da depot’ we picked up a Roybi detail sander a couple cans of paint, primer and all the trimmings that comes along with painting. Note to reader: when painting wood, always get a foam roller. I had asked the “bro” at the counter witch roller to buy for painting a piece of furniture. “Oh the foam ones are great b/c they don’t leave behind hairs. But the ‘pros,’ they use these.” Of course he points to the fluffy pink rollers. I think to myself “well, it to look like a pro, not some jack ass slapping up some primer and garbage on there. So of course we buy the fluffy pink guys. Last, we pick up a hook for my stuff so it’s not laying around anymore. Every thing has it’s place.

IMG_4852A day later, we brought the big bastard home, skuffed up our floor a touch and put it on extra flor tiles we had. There it sat for a couple more days. Finally I got up the guff to sand.

It took about an afternoon and a half to sand. I’m no expert by any means. I love watching ‘This Old House’ and ‘Yankee Workshop,’ but translating that into real life isn’t always 1:1. I tried sanding just by hand but I was going no where fast. There are also tiny nooks that were a real pain in the ass to get to. I read a bit online, watched a couple videos, re-read those articles and watched a video three of four times and decided I didn’t want to go out and buy a sanding sponge. I thought the next best thing would be something I devised – a metal scrapper wrapped in 120 grit paper. It did it’s job, well enough. The larger surfaces I used the detail sander.

Stay tuned for part 2 – the chilling conclusion to our story.